Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Comfort Without the Calories

I think I have probably bored you all to death with my cheerful optimism lately, but I AM happy. 

If I had to pick one problem that comes with being happy it is that you also start to get a little too comfortable.  I have seen it happen all too many times, same scenario different friend or acquaintence.  Let me break the equation down for you:  happy relationship= fatty foods=FAT newlywed/girlfriend or boyfriend.

It's only natural to want to lavish your best(read: worst for you) creations on your significant other and pair that with dinner date nights and popcorn at the movies and your normal 1,500-2,000 calorie diet just exploded.  Couple this "new love cooking" style with the desire to do nothing but cuddle in your new house and the pounds basically jump onto your body.  I'm not saying that I have merely seen this, I admit I have been there too.

However, I have also learned how to get the same comfort without the calories.  You don't have to add sour cream, cream soup, shredded cheese, butter, mayo or any other Paula Dean endorsed food to every meal.  It can taste just as good if you make an effort to find alternatives and expand your culinary point of view.

I LOVE to cook.  I would cook even if no one was there to eat it.  Even after a long day I still go home and make dinner, not because I feel obligated, but because I honestly enjoy it.  Therefore, I wanted a way to document and share my healthier versions of classic comforting meals.

This week's menu: They are easy!

Monday: Spaghetti and Meatballs with wedge salad
Tuesday: Salmon Croquettes with roasted ranch potatoes and 7-layer salad
Wednesday: Roast Chicken with fried green beans and praline sweet potato
Thursday: Chicken salad and zuchhini cakes
Friday: Homemade calzones
Saturday: Buffalo wings with bleu cheese dipping sauce

As you can see, we are not restricted to celery and water in our home.  We love food and we like to eat, but even the seemingly calorie laden dishes are tricksters.

Stay tuned for the recipes!

No comments:

Post a Comment