Thursday, July 21, 2011

What did you have for dinner...?

Let's start with a disclaimer, I am a big fan a fruits, vegetables and generally most things healthy.

I'm a big advocate of salads and local fresh produce and homemade healthy meals, but tonight we went CRAZY. Literally.

I had peaches(more on those later) for breakfast and a Lean Cuisine for lunch, but all day I was craving something greasy and fatty and horrible for my body. I fought the urges UNTIL around 2:30 when the Wholly Guacamole facebook page informed me that today, July 21st, is National Junk Food Day.

So, when 4:30 rolled around and my trusty chauffeur RJ picked me up(car and pot hole had a disagreement) I told him I wanted to make a tour of restaurants.  Boneless wings, cheese fries, pizza, nachos, BBQ, mac and cheese, chicken fingers, donuts, milkshakes, fried pies, and brownie sundaes was my honest to God list.

We decided to start with Outback. I'm getting, slash that, got cheese fries. They were heavenly.
And...too much for my tummy to handle.  After 1/4 of the way through I was done and full.

We didn't go to O'Charley's, or Krispy Kreme, or anywhere but Kroger for supplies. Not antacids, or tums,or Sprite.  We couldn't throw in the towel that easily.  We bought Twinkies, Oatmeal Cream Pies, and Double Stuft Oreos, got in the car, took an hour or two break and then we
FRIED ALL OF IT.





You Can Too!  The recipe is simple:

Deep Fried Fun
1 cup baking mix, like Bisquick
1 cup water
1 Tablespoon vinegar
1 Teaspoon salt

Anything delicious you can think of, snack cakes, candy bars, cookies, you name it!
Powdered sugar for sprinkling.

Chill your items while you mix the batter ingredients together and heat the oil.
Heat oil to around 375 degrees, or insert a wooden spoon handle first to the bottom of your pan and wait until bubbles rise around the base.
Dip your selected items and fry 1.5 minutes per side until golden brown
Lay out to drain on a paper towel and sprinkle with powered sugar.

So amazing, so sinful, but also so a once a year kind of thing!









No comments:

Post a Comment