Wednesday, August 3, 2011

I have an obsession

And currently it is peaches.

At work, we are lucky enough to have the local farmer's market come to us every other Friday and a couple of weeks ago I found my favorite thing about Memphis so far, Jone's Orchard.

Honestly, it was luck that steered me to their particular stand.  Everyone had peaches, but Jones were the only ones that were taking check cards and I never carry cash.  I hopped in line behind a nice lady who informed me that their peaches were the best, especially the white ones.  Hold up, white peaches? Yes, White peaches and they are gifts from the gods.  They are so much sweeter than golden peaches, with a light floral flavor and none of the tart punch that normal peaches can have.  Needless to say, they didn't last long and actually were the subject of a morning argument between RJ and I as I tried to take the last of them to work for breakfast.

I am not kidding, if you get the chance to try a white peach, do yourself a favor and buy more than one.

They didn't have white peaches this last week, so I picked up a large basket of their red skins and they did not disappoint either.  We have had peaches in a meal just about everyday and I don't plan to stop anytime soon.

A few of my favorite peachy uses are as follow:
  • Homemade BBQ Chicken Pizza with peaches, smoky, sweet, delicious.
  • Peach Salsa, a tasty dip for chips or topping for any grilled meat of your choice.
  • Whole wheat pasta with peaches, scallions, and bacon.
  • Sliced peaches, sprinkled with cinnamon and topped with fat free frozen Cool Whip(We eat this almost every night)
They are low fat, good for you, and amazingly yummy so I suggest everyone jump on the peach bandwagon with me!  But I beg you, please buy from a local farmer and not the grocery store.  You will get a much better product and help support your local community.  Definitely a good investment.

1 comment:

  1. YOU can't post suggestions on how to use peaches unless recipes are included.

    ReplyDelete