Monday, January 9, 2012

I might be crazy, but here goes nothing

I have never been a "skinny" girl.  Let me rephrase, I do not remember ever being a skinny girl.  From the time I was born until I was 5 I was apparently pretty scrawny and classified as underweight, but back then there was not a body issue in sight and therefore, I didn't notice.

What I did notice was being overweight pretty much my entire childhood, adolescence, and early teen years.  It just seemed that the weight kept creeping on and no matter how many fad diets I tried, it never seemed to budge.  I cannot explain how many times people made, what they thought were helpful, comments about my weight, my looks, how I could lose it, etc, etc, etc.  Even more, what I can't explain is that until someone makes a decision to do something for themselves, no amount of audience participation, bribes, threats, or guilt is going to work.

For me, I made that choice the spring of my junior year of high school.  I made the resolution that no matter what it took I was NOT going to start college as the fat girl. Over the next year an half I lost almost 100lbs.  I felt proud of myself and I have managed to keep it off (save the same 10lbs that I tend to gain and lose a million times).  The kicker, I'm still not skinny. After losing all of that weight I am still 30 lbs away from my true goal.  I became complacent in my journey and settled for good enough.  When I hit that plateau, instead of pushing through, I decided maintaining was easier.

Fast forward 8 years and I am ready to get back in the trenches.  Ready to slim down and tone up what I left behind.  The first time around I focussed pretty solely on diet with a little exercise thrown in for good measure, this time I know that to get where I want I am going to have to sweat. 

So, I signed up and am starting boot camp classes this afternoon.  This is my public admission and cry for help to keep me accountable and motivated. 

I plan to share my progress, healthy meal ideas, tips, tricks and all else attributed to a changing lifestyle every week( you can keep me accountable for this too).

So, here goes nothing! Hopefully I can still walk tomorrow.





No comments:

Post a Comment