Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Work out Wednesday

I have successfully completed two, count them, two boot camp classes and I hurt. We are talking serious pain in muscles that have not been used in a long time.

That being said, I really, really enjoyed my classes.  Monday was a bit tough at some points, but by yesterday I had learned to accept the pain and push through.  The real turning point came when last night's workout was over, I was actually sad. Weird.

If you would like to get a sample of what we have been doing, feel free to watch HERE .

Progress:

As of Sunday morning I was down 3.2 lbs just from a week of diet changes that included very limited carbs and sugar and 6 small meals per day. By adding in workouts this week, I am hoping to see even greater improvement!
Struggles:

My true struggles have come at the hand of my good ole' buddy boredom.  During the week, RJ works at least 4 out of 7 nights until close to 10, leaving me at home from around 5 (now 8 with bootcamp) until 10:15 or so when he walks in the door.  During this time I have to fight to keep myself busy or else I find myself snacking for no good reason.  I'm not saying I'm eating potato chips straight out of the bag or anything, but even too much healthy food is too much food. Therefore, I have devised a strategy to keep my hands busy.  Whenever I go into the kitchen and catch myself looking for food, instead of food I get a big glass of ice water and leave.  Not only am I filling my stomach, I am also training myself to resist my urges to eat.

Meals: 

This week's biggest success thus far is the Healthy Chicken Parmesan.

It was easy, healthy, and delicious!  Just a few common sense swaps, some inventive choices and you can have something that is just as comforting as the original.

We used boneless, skinless, chicken breasts coated in a mixture of Parmesan cheese, Panko, and garlic. Then we sprayed the outside with Pam and baked at 425 for 25 minutes. Delicious, crispy, yet healthy, chicken. For those of you who are not aware, tomatoes have very high sugar content, prepared tomato products (Ketchup, marinara, jarred pasta sauce, etc) even worse. So to mimic the topping without the fat, we used a chopped tomato, basil, bruschetta.  Turns out it tasted even better and much fresher than the normal saucy coating.


Recipe:

5 roma tomatoes, seeded and diced
1/2 sweet onion diced
1-2 cloves garlic chopped very finely
Lots of fresh basil leaves rolled together and sliced to create skinny strings (chiffonade)
A splash or 2 of extra virgin olive oil
Salt and black pepper to taste.

Mix it all together and let sit in the fridge for at least an hour. Then top anything you care. Crusty whole wheat baguette, chicken, fish, even use as a sauce on whole wheat pasta.

And now for a little confession.  Today at work we had a pizza party. I ate a piece. Not the healthiest lunch, considering I brought a salad from home, but a little cheat every now and then won't kill me.  I only had 1 piece and I made sure to pick veggie, by not restricting my diet every single day I figure I can turn this into a true lifestyle. That includes the occasional bad for me food.

Any tips/tricks you have to keep yourself motivated and on the right track?  Feel free to chime in.


           


No comments:

Post a Comment